Try our High Protein Spicy Bean Chilli Recipe, ideal for Autumn and Winter, with a good protein hit too!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded, finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili paste
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 200ml tomato sauce (or passata)
- 0.5 litre of water
- 1 can black eyed beans (drained)
- 1 can haricot beans (drained)
- 1 can red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 small can sweet corn (drained)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Add the olive oil and onions to a pot, and place over medium heat. Saute the onions fir about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, red bell pepper, oregano, chipotle, cumin, and chili powder. Cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, black eyed beans, haricot beans, kidney beans, and sweet corn. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take a potato masher, or spatula, and mash some of the beans against the bottom of the pot. This will thicken the chili. The more you mash the thicker it will become as it cooks. For a medium-thick texture mash about 1/4 of the beans (you can always mash more later). Stir well and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese (optional)
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 303
- Protein: 15g
- Carbs: 42g
- Fat: 8g