Try our delicious Chicken Katsu recipe!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- Lime wedges
For the sauce:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 inch piece ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 star anise
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
For the rice:
- 100g long-grain rice
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced (include the green part)
For the salad:
- 1 medium carrot (peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler)
- ⅓ of a cucumber (peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 small red chilli (finely chopped and deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
- Juice of ½ lime
- Small handful mint leaves
- Small handful coriander leaves
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water for 35 mins or until very tender.
- Crush the almonds using a pestle and mortar, or blitz in a food processor until finely chopped, then sprinkle over a plate.
- Grease a small baking tray with a little of the oil. Brush the chicken on both sides with the remaining oil and season well. Coat the chicken with the nuts and place on the tray. Press any remaining nuts from the plate onto each breast. Bake for 20 mins or until browned and cooked through. Rest for 4-5 mins on the tray.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick saucepan and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Loosely cover the pan and fry gently for 4 mins or until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid for the final 1 mins, and don’t let the garlic burn.
- Stir in the curry powder, star anise, turmeric and a good grinding of black pepper. Cook for a few secs more, stirring.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Gradually add 400ml water to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. If it begins to splutter, cover loosely with a lid. Remove the pan from the heat and blitz the sauce with a stick blender until very smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Keep warm.
- Once the rice is tender, add the spring onions and cook for 1 min more. Drain well, then leave to stand for a few mins while you make the salad. Toss the carrot and cucumber with the chilli, lime juice and herbs.
- Divide the sliced chicken between two plates, pour over the sauce and serve with the rice, salad and lime wedges for squeezing over.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 585
- Protein: 47g
- Carbs: 58g
- Fats: 16g